The zero-waste movement is gaining momentum bit by bit and Plastic Free July is a great way to kick start your life style change.
The great thing about Plastic Free July for those who can’t see themselves going 100% plastic free is that you don’t have to. The idea is about being more conscious of your purchasing and using decisions as oppose to being perfectly plastic free.
Plastic Free July was founded by The Plastic Free Foundation people can take a pledge to participate on their website. You can pledge to observe the challenge for just one day, one week, the entirety of July, or for July and beyond. You can also pledge to reduce your plastic in a few different ways: such as avoiding single-use packaging, avoiding the “big four” (bags, bottles, straws and coffee cups), or aiming to go completely plastic-free. You can also pledge to make these changes personally or for a local community group or workplace.
This pledge is easily manageable at any level as any change in environmental consciousness is still as a success.
Some Ideas To Kick Start Your New Zero Waste Lifestyle
Plastic isn’t the only think we throw in the trash, so here are some ideas to kick start your zero waste lifestyle.
- Use reusable bags instead of single use plastic bags
- Bring a reusable coffee cup with you to your local café
- Say no to a straw
- Carry a water bottle on you so you don’t have to buy a drink went out and about
- Keep and old set of plates and cutlery at places like work rather than using disposable plates and cutlery
- Use reusable sanitary items
- Use cloth diapers for babies
- Use cloth napkins and towels instead of paper napkins and paper towel
- Use handkerchiefs instead of tissues
- Use flannels to remove make up instead of make up wipes